Your child has the opportunity to take a fun and educational trip to the Grand Canyon with his/her classmates next year. The trip is only offered to eight graders as a wonderful extension of their studies in seventh grade Earth Science course. I will be leading the group along with other chaperones, and we will study the Grand Canyon, take a float trip down the Colorado River, explore Zion National Park, and much more. Three days of the trip will be spent hiking into and camping on the Havasupai Indian Reservation in the Grand Canyon system. Students must be in good physical condition as the trip requires a ten mile hike into the Canyon and a ten mile hike out. All camping equipment, meals and training will be provided. A detailed packing list will be provided well before departure to make sure you are ready for this adventure. Please see the sample itinerary at the right to get more details. Learning has never been so exciting!
The trip is scheduled from 6/6/2017 to 6/12/2017, arriving home in the late evening of 6/12. We have used a professional firm called Grandclassroom for over 12 years to plan every aspect of the trip. They specialize in National Park tours, and they will be working with us from the planning stages through every moment of our adventure.
For the price of $2532 (2016017) everything on the trip will be covered - all transportation, hotel accommodations, meals, sightseeing and evening activities as well as medical insurance. Students will purchase their own snacks and drinks along the way. Grand Classroom staff members will be on hand to help ensure that our trip goes smoothly. To register for this unforgettable trip, please read through the Grand Classroom brochure and fill out and then register at www.grandclassroom.com, or you can call (434-975-2629) or (800-839-6424) their customer service department to take the information over the phone. The trip is limited to 40 eighth graders.
Register today with a $99 deposit, which will be credited toward your total. After you register, you will be sent a confirmation letter. You will remain on the waitlist until the registration deadline and names have been drawn from the hat.
If you have any questions, you can call the professionals at Grandclassroom at (434-975-2629 or 800-839-6424), or call me at school (314) 993-4045, x359.
I look forward to providing a fun and educational adventure that your child will remember for a lifetime.
We will have a parent and student meeting in late April to fill out all forms and explain trip procedures.
Margaret Bahe, firstname.lastname@example.org
Science Dept, John Burroughs School
NEW!!! Register Info!
NEW THIS YEAR: When studenst register for the trip, all students will initially be placed on a waitlist. Once registration closes, on October 25, 2016, all student names will be placed in a hat. Names will be drawn. If a student's name is drawn, then the student will be removed from the waitlist. All other students will remain on the waitlist in the order in which the names were drawn. The $99 registration deposit will be returned to all students whose names are not drawn for the trip.
The Registration Link is now live.
2017 Trip Itinerary:
Grand Canyon Trip
DAY ONE - Tuesday, June 6
• Groups arrive in Phoemix, meet Grand Classroom representative at baggage claim
• Depart airport (could be very early!)
• Depart for Slide Rock State Park
• Slide in the water and hike up the stream
• Depart for Flagstaff, AZ
• Check into hotel
• Meeting with guides to prepare for Havasu
DAY TWO - Wednesday, June 7
• Hotel breakfast
• Depart for Havasu
• Arrive at trailhead in early morning, hike ten miles to campground
• Arrive at campground and set up camp
• Swim at Havasu Falls
• Dinner at camp
DAY THREE - Thursday, June 8
This day will be spent exploring the canyon, swimming in New Falls/Havasu and Mooney Falls. Possible walk to Beaver Falls.
DAY FOUR - Friday, June 9
• Very early breakfast and hike out of Canyon
• Lunch at the top of Havasu
• Depart for Grand Canyon National Park - South Rim
• Walk along South Rim – stops include Bright Angel and Desert View Watchtower for a sunset
• Dinner at the Grand Canyon Cafe
• Depart for Kanab, UT and check into hotel
DAY FIVE - Saturday, June 10
• Hotel breakfast
• Tour Antelope or Little Antelope Canyon
• Lunch at Horseshoe Bend Overlook or Glen Canyon Dam
• Float Trip on the Colorado River
• Cowboy Dinner or Play at the Coral Pink Sand Dunes Park
• Hotel in Kanab or Springdale
DAY SIX - Sunday, June 11
• Pink Coral Sand Dunes State Park (if not the evening before)
• Depart for Zion National Park–Stops en route per guide
• Hike the Narrows (weatherpermitting); other hikes
• Dinner on way to Las Vegas
• See the free shows along the strip; a little souvenier shopping
DAY SEVEN -Monday, June 12
• Hotel breakfast in Las Vegas
• Depart for Las Vegas airport - Photo at the Welcome Sign
• Arrive at airport
• Depart Las Vegas
• Arrive home early in evening